Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 12

8:30 PM
06/09/09
(click on images to enlarge)

Today was the second day of class and the mine put 2 more new hires into the class (10) total. Who knows tomorrow maybe I'll have even more or none at all. We (Jim and I) go day to day with the mine. Today we did get a truck in the afternoon for hands on training. I split the class into groups to check out items on the truck, one group on the ground, one group on the deck checking out the brake circuits, and a group in the cab going through the monitor computer. Every group wanted me for something. I crawled up and down the ladder, under the truck and in the cab all afternoon. In the U.S., if I split the class, one group would work (the group I would be with) the rest would be sitting around. These people want to learn all they can and get all the information I can give.

One student, Harold (that's not how it's spelled but it's how I pronounce it) is 49 years old, an old man in Zambian society, was having trouble reading the shop manual. He would move the book back and forward trying to focus, so I got a pair of beat up reading glasses out of my case. One of the nose pads were gone and the ear arms were bent out of shape. I was going to trash them and get another pair. I said "Try these Harold". He was so thankful! He said this is the best he has read in a long time. I said "Keep them they are yours". You should have seen the expression his face. I will never forget it!

The candy has been a big hit! When the students answer a question correctly I would give them one of the Tootsie Rolls. American candy is a big hit. On the way out tonight Harold said he has 7 kids "Have you got any sweets for them" I gave all of them candy for the kids on the way out. One guy, not married, said "Sir I have 4 kids at home and can I have sweets for them?" He had a big smile on his face when he asked.

I'm having a great time with this class. They are running me ragged and at the end of the day I'm very beat, along with a sore back and leg.

* Attached is a photo of the class.
* photo of Harold
* A hitch pin that keeps the rear of the truck attached to the front, I reported this to the management last Monday, still not fixed.
































No comments:

Post a Comment